The blood brain barrier is the brain’s first line of defense, a selective filtering mechanism of the capillaries that prevents blood borne pathogens, toxins, and other substances from entering the neural tissue. It is comprised of endothelial cells and astrocytes which create a tight restrictive boundary around the blood supply.
The painting is also a study in fluid dynamics to impart a more biological feel to the materials. Metal powders and dyes suspended in epoxy resins are applied to the canvas and torched to encourage chaotic elements to develop. The astrocytic cell bodies that extend their feet to the blood vessel boundaries are created by using rock salt as a mold around which epoxy layers are flowed, then the salt is dissolved out and the cavities filled with resins to emulate a more three dimensional feel to the painting.
- Printed on glossy, slightly metallic paper of archival quality.
- As there is a limited supply, prints will be sold on a first come, first served basis.
- The sooner your payment is received, the lower the print # you will get.
- I am sorry I can not send framed prints internationally at this moment.
- Orders originating from PA will have 8% sales tax added. PayPal takes care of all of these numbers. Again if you have questions, please email me.
- Please allow 3-4 weeks for delivery (domestic orders), 4-6 weeks for international. Most orders will arrive much faster than this, but there is the occasional unforseen delay. To be sure you receive the print in time to give as a gift, please order at least two weeks in advance.
- 20% OFF Graduate student discounts are available. Please email for instructions on how to purchase grad.discount(at)gregadunn.com