This print of gold leaf and ink painting called Transmembrane Receptor depicts the crucial class of proteins which receive molecular signals from outside the cell. The receptor in turn sets off chemical cascades that signal to the cell about the external environment. The receptor in this piece is the metabotropic glutamate receptor which captures glutamate within the binding sites of the protein matrix, causing a change in protein confirmation that sets off a signaling cascade on the interior part of the membrane (bottom). Transmembrane receptors contain transmembrane domains made predominantly of alpha helicies (spiral parts of protein going through the blue cell membrane) that contain sequences of amino acids which are compatible with membrane interiors, situating these proteins stably within the membrane.
Transmembrane receptors are critically important for a huge variety of brain functions. Their modulation, mutation, or dysfunction can lead to a wide array of impacts on circuit dynamics, communication across pathways, and even consciousness.
- Printed on glossy, slightly metallic paper of archival quality.
- As there is a limited supply, prints will be sold on a first come, first served basis.
- The sooner your payment is received, the lower the print # you will get.
- I am sorry I can not send framed prints internationally at this moment.
- Orders made from PA will have 8% sales tax added. PayPal takes care of all of these numbers. Again if you have questions, please email me.
- Please note that I cannot ship framed prints to international locations.
- Please allow 3-4 weeks for delivery (domestic orders), 4-6 weeks for international. Framed prints are only for domestic shipping and that delivery time is 4-8 weeks.
- 20% OFF Graduate student discounts are available for unframed prints only. Please email for instructions on how to purchase grad.discount(at)gregadunn.com